Friday, December 30, 2011

well, twenty pieces, i tried, but i just don't think we're right for each other.
it's not you - it's me.
i think it is an honorable pursuit, 
simplifying
moving focus.
but i'm hoping to do that
without the "rules"

the last couple of years have been ones
of learning who i am
what i like
being free
not to care what people think
to spend money, even.
before, i was afraid to.
but now, i have gone on this journey
of my heart becoming more whole
of discovering who i really am
who he made me to be
what delights me
what is not that important to me.
shopping is not that important to me
never has been.
but before, a part of my - i think, now - false identity
was "i hate shopping".
really, i just didn't like making decisions. 
seeing how i looked in things that didn't fit well.
now as my healing continues,
i am learning to see me and my desires as valid
and i don't have to hide.

that said,
i really enjoyed the journey to deciding not to join the club
i made it down to less than 50 pieces - maybe 40 
(there's like 8 in my sewing pile right now, waiting to see if they're salvageable)
and love that i love everything in my closet!

my favorite part, though, is that
our hangers all match now
it was a little painful
parting with some things
gifts were the hardest, and handmade ones
who knew that i had sentimental value attached to my clothes like that?
i feel lighter
and find myself with this new
"rid the excess" mentality
in most areas of life now

it's a little strange for me
has a little extra twist
since i am a mixed-media artist
that automatically entails that i collect.
i have bins of rusty stuff
and paper and fabric
and even clothes
waiting to be transformed
into something new and beautiful
i hope
so, i guess i just think
now is not the time 
for my heart
i am needing to engage
not detach
be so fully present
as i encounter
the color and texture 
of such a lovely world
and lovely creator

the weird part is
since i've been contemplating this
for so many months
i sort of still feel like i am doing it
joining you
but, while i have a much smaller wardrobe now
and often think about which pieces still "could go"
because they don't necessarily "go with" 
the other stuff
(i had all these caveats in mind: "oh, i need to go shopping before sunday - then it's 2012"... "no shopping, EXCEPT, that one weekend thrifting that my sister gifted me for christmas";
 or "i can't shop, but i can make new things out of what i have stored away", etc.
now i don't need them)
i think he's still taking me on this journey
toward freedom, 
away from shame
and into drinking deeply of beauty
in art, people, clothes, food, nature... 

much love,
jamie
ps. these not-so-subtle notes from kimmy in my christmas present of cute clothes in no way had any bearing on my decision ;)
pps. thank you, jason, for not letting me just "get on board" with this, but instead really seeking to discern where i am being invited... and for joining me in lightening the load, even on your side of the closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment